babyloss after 24 weeks – 42 weeks of pregnancy
The term baby loss, also known as “Stillbirth”, is used for dead babies who die after completion of the 24th week of gestation period. babyloss or stillbirth is an asymptomatic tragedy and in most cases, the actual cause of the baby’s early death remains unknown. The stats published by NHS revealed that 1 out of 250 pregnant women who came to the hospital ended in Baby loss or stillborn.
In the last year, 2793 babies were stillborn which means that 1 out of 200 babies faced stillbirth. There is no specific time for babyloss in pregnant women and babies can die any time after the completion of the 24th week of pregnancy. The term miscarriage is used when a baby dies before the 24th week of the pregnancy.
Causes of baby loss or stillbirth
Although the causes of stillbirth are still unexplained yet after studying multiple cases, doctors pointed out some medical conditions or anomalies that might cause a baby loss in pregnant women. Some of these supposed conditions are listed below.
Placental Abruption (Preeclampsia) that can cause baby loss
The term preeclampsia is referred to the swelling of the placenta during the last weeks of pregnancy due to high blood pressure in this region. Sometimes preeclampsia goes off the hand especially in aged women or in hypertension patients and results in an eruption of the placenta which leads to the baby loss. A mother which is a patient with high blood pressure more prone to this condition.
Umbilical Cord Disruption
The umbilical cord is the extension of the placenta which connects the baby with the mother’s body. The baby receives the mother’s blood which carries oxygen, nutrients and important hormonal secretions for a baby via this organ. Any disruption or blockage in the Umbilical cord leads to babyloss or stillbirth.
A mother with a blood clotting disorder like Haemophilia or thalassemia is more prone to babyloss than healthy mothers.
The chances of babyloss increase many folds in the pregnant women who are the patient of Lupus. Lupus is an auto-immune disorder in which the mother’s immune system starts to attacks the tissues and organs of the baby in the womb.
The gestation period after 24 weeks is very crucial for a baby’s health as the brain and other body organs are in the development and growth phase. Any infection in the mother’s body due to bacterial or viral cause can cause harm to the baby. If the infection remains untreated, this prolonged exposure ultimately results in baby loss.
Obstetric Cholestasis is a hepatic disorder in which large bile and secretion start to produce in pregnant women. The symptom of this disorder is severe skin rash and itching. Although the association of Obstetric Cholestasis and babyloss is not found yet, still doctor found this medical condition in mothers with stillbirth.
How Chances of babyloss Or Stillbirth can be Prevented?
As the reason for the babyloss is not confirmed yet, that’s why there is no method for its prevention. However, by following some basic healthy life practices, the chances of giving birth to a healthy baby can be increased. In the following, some simple doings are mentioned which pregnant women can adopt.
- Mothers using drugs for recreational, anxiety or depression purposes are more prone to baby loss. By refraining from these, a mother can improve is health.
- Excessive drinking and smoking also put a bad effect on a baby’s growth and abnormal growth leads to a baby’s loss in most cases.
- Mothers with infectious or flu conditions also prone to baby loss. In case of infection or seasonal flu, immediately contact healthcare for treatment.
- Mothers with high blood pressure should have to adopt healthy eating habits. Food items contain fat and salt such as beef, mutton, etc as well as salt-containing dishes should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Pregnant women should have to maintain their BMI in the healthy range. Mothers with obesity have more risk of baby loss. Similarly, aged mothers also have higher chances of baby loss.
- By maintaining personal hygiene, following healthy eating habits and due routine visits and blood tests, chances of baby loss get significantly reduced.
baby articles on our main website homepage at cheekychumsonline