my baby born at 28 weeks will he be ok ?
baby born at 28 weeks is the topic for todays blog post. In the field of medical sciences, every baby who is born before completion of the gestation period (before 37 weeks) is referred to as a Premature baby. Every year, the NHS reports the birth of 60,000 premature babies in UK hospitals which is approximately 8% of total babies born in a year. Based on the time of birth, treatment required, and survival rate, WHO categorized preterm babies into 4 different categories. TA baby born at 28 weeks of gestation period are considered to belong to the Very Preterm category.
The major focus in this article will be on the Very Preterm baby born at 28 weeks to 32 weeks of gestation period. We will be going to discuss the causes of premature birth, the survival rate of Very Preterm babies, and medicines used to prevent premature birth of such babies.
baby born at 28 weeks and the Causes of Premature Birth
There is no clear scientific or medical explanation every time about the causes of premature birth in mothers. Yet health care professionals try to correlate premature birth with some risk factors which can be associated with the premature birth of babies. in the following, we are going to attributed different factors responsible for the premature birth for a baby born at 28 weeks.
Some of the pregnancy-related factors which can be the cause of premature babies are:
- The abnormal slow growth of the baby (Fetal growth restrictions, FGR)
- Early water breakage in pregnant women (Preterm Premature Rupture of the Membrane, PPROM)
- Abnormal or Incompetent uterus
- Placental Infection, Amniotic infection, Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Bacterial infection of chorion and amnion layers surround the fetus (Chorioamnionitis)
- Low-lying placenta
- Abnormal placental eruption
- Women with cancerous cervical cells and undergoes Cone biopsy (in case of Cervical cancer)
- Large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ) in which doctors use a heated wire loop to deal with pre-cancerous cells.
Chances of premature birth increases in women with other health complications such as:
- Diabetes-type 1 and diabetes-type 2 in pregnant women due to genetic reasons.
- Gestational diabetes at any stage of pregnancy
- Premature birth associated with High Blood Pressure of pregnant women (Pre-eclampsia)
- Hughes Syndrome associated with excessive blood clotting in pregnant women
- Abnormal bile flow from the liver during pregnancy (Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy, ICP)
- Pregnant women with any heart condition
- Pregnant women with any kidney condition
Along with these factors, other socio-economic factors can also contribute to premature birth;
- Mother with excessive smoking habits
- Excessive drinking habits
- Women got pregnant at a very early age
- Women got pregnant after 35
- Poor nutrition during pregnancy
- Stress, anxiety, and depression of pregnant mother also leads to premature birth
- Mother got pregnant soon after the last delivery of a baby
baby born too soon Survival Rate of Very Preterm babies
The survival rate of babies exponentially increases as the time of gestation period increases. The time duration after 24 weeks is very important for babies as vital organs of babies show extensive growth. As premature babies can’t able to enjoy this period in the mother’s womb due to any above discussed medical condition, that’s why many complications appear in such babies.
The babies born before 24 weeks have very slim chances of survival as compared to those who successfully cross the28 weeks milestone. After 28 weeks, the chances of baby survival jump to 85% as compared to 24 or 26 week born babies. stats of the NHS department reveals that out of 60,000 preterm born babies in the UK, 11% of total babies are born after 28 weeks of the gestation period.
Medicines used to stop the premature birth
Medically, it is very difficult to alter the preterm birth as no one is sure about the cause of premature birth in pregnant women. Researchers and obstetricians doing a lot of research and studies these days to intervene in some treatment to counter preterm birth. Regular checkups with gynecologists after the 12 weeks of gestation period can prove very helpful in the prevention of preterm birth. Because in case of any abnormality, the gynecologist will able to make an early prognosis which will stop the situation from getting more worsen. Following are the most common strategies opted by gynecologists to counter preterm birth in pregnant women.
Progesterone Hormone Administration
Progesterone hormone is naturally secreted in the female body from the uterus and essential to maintain the pregnancy in females. If early prognosis reveals any chances of premature birth, doctors shift to progesterone treatment. In 20-50% of cases, progesterone works and helps to maintain the pregnancy in such females. Usually, at the 25-27 weeks, doctors administer progesterone through the intra-vaginal route in pregnant women.
If early prognosis shows the signs of premature birth, doctors start to administer Antenatal corticosteroids to the mother’s body. Betamethasone and dexamethasone are the most commonly administered corticosteroids which not only prevent preterm birth but also enhance the growth of lung tissues of baby.
Tocolytics are drugs that partially delay the contraction movement during birth and delays the birth only for a short time (for 48 hours). Mostly, Calcium channel blocker like Nifedipine is used for such purpose.
Early administration of antibiotics also reduces the chances of complications during preterm birth. Mothers with conditions like PPROM and Chorioamnionitis at more prone to bacterial infections that’s why different antibiotics like clindamycin, Vancomycin, Cefazolin, Cefixime, etc are administered in mother bodies.